The Healthier Sugar Cookie
The Healthier Sugar Cookie is vegan and free from highly processed oils making them a HEALTHIER option. Made with only a few simple ingredients and super fun to make with the kids!
This is the time of year to bake up a storm of goodies! What’s so special about these sugar cookies is that they have the traditional sugar cookie taste and texture without the butter! Even vegan butter substitutes can be highly processed and contain additives. Don’t get me wrong, I love having vegan butter options and they are a great option to animal derived versions but that doesn’t mean we want to eat loads of it!
This recipe replaces the butter with a few tablespoons of coconut oil and almond milk, still creating that delicious buttery effect. Included in this recipe is a simple icing. The icing uses only 3 ingredients and is whipped up in a flash.
How to Make The Healthier Sugar Cookie
When creating this recipe, the goal was to make it easy! It’s as simple as beating together a few ingredients until a dough is formed. This dough needs to sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before rolling it out. Then the fun part! Using your favorite cookies cutters, cut out individual cookies and place them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool before applying the simple icing recipe detailed below.
Note: Most icing sugar is not technically vegan and uses animal products in its processing. I used the Wholesome Icing Sugar brand which is a completely vegan and organic option!
Are you looking for even more Holiday Recipes? If so Click Here!
Did you try this recipe? If so, please let me know in the comments section below! I love your feedback. Be sure to also follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook for updates on my newest recipes!
Subscribe to Blog via Email
The Healthier Sugar CookieStunningly Plant Based
- Hand Mixer
- Rolling Pin
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cups Cane Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 4 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup+ 1 tbsp Almond Milk
- 1 cup Icing Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3-4 tbsp Almond Milk
- Food Coloring (optional)
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add softened (not melted) coconut oil, vanilla extract, and sugar. Using a hand mixer beat on medium high until creamed.
- Add the almond milk and slowly begin beating in the flour mixture until a rough dough is formed. Use your hands to kneed the dough until a dough ball is formed. If too dry add more milk, if to sticky add more flour.
- Place the dough back into the mixing bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the dough from the fridge. On a lightly floured surface roll out half of the dough at a time. The dough should be a little less than 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out individual cookies with your choice of cookie cutter. Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the bottoms are slightly browned.
For the Icing:
- In a medium size bowl, combine all ingredients together and blend until a smooth icing is formed. For a thicker icing use more icing sugar and less milk and for a thinner icing add more milk until you reach your desired consistency.
- Use a piping bag or a zip lock bag with the tip cut off to apply the icing as your desire. Refrigerate for 10 minutes to let the icing solidify before consuming.