Vegan Chocolate Glazed Donuts
These Vegan Chocolate Glazed Donuts are soft and moist, sure to satisfy your sweet tooth! They are baked not fried, making for a healthier treat.
On my quest to make the perfect donut, I immediately knew I wanted to recreate a Canadian favorite – the Tim Horton’s Chocolate Glazed Donut. This was a childhood favorite of mine and since going Vegan eight years ago I haven’t had anything that came close. On my third attempt, I took a bite and I was immediately brought back to my childhood. This was definitely the winner!
How to Make Vegan Chocolate Glazed Donuts:
Not only will your family and friends love these, you will love making them, they are so SIMPLE!
The batter contains very simple ingredients, and ones that you probably already have in your pantry, they include:
- All-Purpose Unbleached Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Cane Sugar
- Baking Soda
- Plant Milk
- Vanilla Extract
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Vegan Icing Sugar
The fun part about this recipe is combining the baking soda and the apple cider vinegar for our egg replacement. This makes for some fizz that the kids will love to participate in!
After that, simply mix together all the remaining batter ingredients, then distribute evenly into the donut pan and bake for 10-12 minutes. Next, let them cool before applying the icing, which is a simple mixture of icing sugar, vanilla and a touch of plant milk. Finally, once the icing has been applied, let them cool again on a drying rack to set.
This recipe makes about 12 medium size donuts. Most donut pans only make 6 donuts, so bake 6 at a time or if you have two pans, this can be done in one go!
- Remove the lumps from the flour and cocoa powder by sending it through a sifter first, this will create a smoother batter.
- I used an organic Dutch processed cocoa powder but you can use any store bought brand.
- Any plant milk will do for this recipe, although the type of plant milk can slightly change the taste, I used Almond for this recipe but you can also use oat, soy, rice etc.
Are you looking for more Sweet Treats? If so, Click Here!
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Vegan Chocolate Glazed Donuts
- Non-Stick Medium Size Donut Pan
- 1 1/3 cup All-Purpose Unbleached Flour
- 1/2 cup Cane Sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/4 cup Almond Milk sub other plant milk
For the Glaze:
- 3/4 cup Vegan Icing Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/2 tbsp Almond Milk sub other plant milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Pour the vanilla and almond milk into the bowl. Then, in a separate bowl combine baking soda and vinegar, stir briefly with a fork, pour this mixture in as well. Mix together all the ingredients until a batter is formed.
- Distribute batter evenly into a lightly greased medium size donut pan (about 3/4 full). Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the donuts look set. Let cool for 10 minutes before transferring the donuts onto a drying rack. Let cool for an additional 20 minutes.
- Make the glaze by combining all the ingredients into a medium size mixing bowl. Use a fork or a hand mixer until a smooth glaze is formed.
- Once the donuts have cooled completely, dip the top of the donuts into the glaze, alternatively you can use a spoon to drizzle it on. Place back onto the drying rack until the icing has set (approximately 20 minutes).
- Serve with coffee or a cold glass of plant milk!