Stir-fried Cabbage with Crispy Tofu
This Stir-fried Cabbage with Crispy Tofu is delicious and can serve as a main or side dish.
The flavors in this stir-fry remind me of my favorite take-out dishes, although this is way healthier! There is the perfect combination of sweet and savory mixed with the addition of fresh ginger. The best part is the slight crunch to the vegetables mixed with the light crispness from frying.
You will be surprised at how easy this is to make, although it does require a little prep, it is so worth it!
How to make Stir-fried Cabbage with Crispy Tofu:
Press and Prepare Tofu: Firstly, you want to prepare the tofu. This is the most important step to get crispy tofu- you must press out the liquid. To do this, simply wrap the entire block in a few layers of paper towel, next place a heavy object on top, such as a heavy cutting board. Wait approximately 20 minutes, then cut the tofu into 1 centimetre thick slices. These will go into the oven at 400 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Prep the Veggies and Aromatics: Secondly, prep the veggies, garlic, ginger, and green onion. This is done simply by cutting the cabbage and red pepper into thin strips, ribboning the carrots, and dicing the green onion.
Make the Sauce: Thirdly, whisk together all sauce ingredients listed below and set aside.
Saute: Begin by heating some vegetable broth in a large deep, non-stick pan. Add the red peppers and cook until mostly soft, next add the aromatics and cook for 1-2 minutes before adding the remaining vegetables. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, only stirring occasionally, as you want the cabbage to crisp up a bit. Add the sauce and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Plate: Lastly, distribute into individual bowls and top with crispy tofu. Add some red pepper flakes for an extra kick!
For more side dish recipes Click Here.
I love your feedback, so please let me know in the comments section what you thought!
- Block of Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 Napa Cabbage
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Grated Ginger
- 3 Green Onions
- 2 Large Carrots
- 3-4 tablespoons Vegetable Broth
- Salt to Taste
- 2 tablespoons Soy sauce or Tamari
- 1 tablespoon Agave
- 1/4 teaspoon Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- Firstly, press the liquid from the tofu either in a tofu press or by wrapping the block in a few layers of paper towel and placing a heavy object on top for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- After that, pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Then, cut tofu into 1 centimeter thick slices. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and pop in the oven for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Next, begin prepping the veggies, by cutting the cabbage and red pepper into thin strips, ribboning the carrots, grating the ginger, and dicing the green onion and garlic.
- Gather the sauce ingredients, and whisk together in a small bowl, then set aside.
- Heat vegetable broth in a large deep, non-stick pan on medium-high.
- Then, add the red peppers and cook until mostly soft. Next add the garlic, ginger, and green onion and cook for 1-2 minutes before adding the remaining vegetables.
- Continue to cook for 10-15 minutes, only stirring occasionally, as you want the cabbage to crisp up a bit. If you notice it is sticking add a bit more broth.
- Stir in the sauce and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Lastly, distribute the stir-fry into individual bowls, remove tofu from the oven, and place it on top. Add some red pepper flakes for an additional kick!