I finalized the Fruit Filled – Granola Bars recipe today! I made this recipe 3 times because I wanted it perfect. These bars are great because you can customize the filling to whatever you want. I personally like fruit so I went with a blueberry filling, alternatively, you could use strawberry or raspberry.
Granola Bars are a great weekday or after school snack. As you can tell I love making easy snacks, I find that’s where a lot of people go wrong when it comes to nutrition. We end up rushing through our day and either grab an unhealthy snack from a vending machine or starve ourselves to the point of major cravings and overeating come meal time. Check out some of my other Vegan Snack Recipes below:
How long does it take to make these Granola Bars?:
These Granola Bars take longer than my other snack recipes. Therefore, I recommend making them on a Sunday or when you have extra time. This recipe takes longer because it requires rolling out dough, making the filling and letting the filling cool before assembling.
These bars contain mostly oats as the base and no oil or butter. Making them on the healthier side. Once you place them on the baking sheet you have the option of brushing with oil. This will help make the tops brown.
For the filling I cooked down the blueberries with some sugar and then simmered with Agar Agar, finally I refrigerated it to set, resulting in a thicker filling. If you are unfamiliar with the product, you can get it online or in the natural section of most grocery stores.
They taste even better the next day! The filling soaks into the dough overnight, as a result, the bars will be extra moist!
I am very excited about this recipe! Let me know in the comments section what you think!
- 2 cups Quick Oats
- 1 – 1 1/4 cups Organic All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Golden Cane Sugar
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups Frozen Blueberries
- 1 teaspoon Agar Agar
- Coconut oil (optional)
- Begin by placing blueberries in a small pot with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Heat on medium and stir frequently for about 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add agar agar, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, transfer into a small bowl and place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl combine oats, flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add vanilla, and slowly add milk while mixing with your hands until a nice dough is formed (add more flour if it’s too sticky)
- Flour a clean, flat surface and begin rolling out the dough into a rectangle shape. The dough should be a little less than 1 cm thick. (the dough is going to be folded in half lengthwise, so roll out the dough according to how you long you want the bars)
- Take the blueberry filling out of the fridge and give it a quick stir to break it up.
- Place dollops of filling along one half of the dough, leaving enough room to be able to press down around the sides of each bar..
- Fold the other half of the dough over top. Using your finger press down around the filling to seal it in, use a pizza cutter or knife, cut out the individual bars.
- Place bars on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush tops with a small amount of coconut oil (optional)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool for minimum 1 hour before serving.