I was inspired to make these Lemon Chia Seed Muffins by my husband. He usually isn’t a breakfast person, although he mentioned recently that he is always in the mood for muffins! I have also been trying to get him to eat more Omega rich foods, this recipe contains 10% Omega-3 and 16% Omega-6, so it hit the mark.
Nutrition Facts for Lemon Chia Seed Muffins:
So, this recipe doesn’t just hit the mark with Omegas, it has plenty of other nutrients that sometimes can be hard to get, such as Magnesium, Selenium and Vitamin E. See below for the nutrition information.
Make During the Week
Make these Lemon Chia Seed Muffins during the week because they are a great breakfast and snack option on the go! They only take 30 minutes to make and have little mess. This can be a perfect weekday activity to do with the kids if they love to bake!
If you have never used Chia Seeds they can be found in most grocery stores or found online. I like to use Bob’s Red Mill Organic Chia Seeds.
Love this muffin recipe? Check out some more here:
- 2 cups Spelt Flour
- 1 1/4 cup Almond Milk or Soy Milk
- 1 teaspoon Rice Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 cup Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Black Chia Seeds
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together almond milk and vinegar, let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, cornstarch, chia seeds and salt.
- Add milk mixture, oil and lemon zest. Stir until a batter is formed.
- Line a muffin tray with 12 liners and evenly distribute the batter, they should be 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. They are ready once you can insert a toothpick and it come out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before consuming.
Please let me know what you think in the comments section below!