Creamy White Sauce Lasagna
This White Sauce Lasagna is a twist on the classic. Perfectly creamy with a balance of sweet and savory flavors. The white sauce is a vegan style take on Bechamel sauce, made by heating butter, garlic, and almond milk in a saucepan and slowly whisking in flour until a beautifully creamy sauce is formed.
I added a layer of butternut squash to this lasagna to pair with the savory flavors and finished it with some fresh sage because I just absolutely love sage and squash together!
This lasagna is super fun to make and even more enjoyable to eat! Please let me know what you think in the comments section below!
- 2 Medium Butternut Squash
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Dash of Nutmeg
- 9-12 Lasagna Noodles
- 3 cups Almond or Soy Milk
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Butter
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon All- Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt (more to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Fresh Sage
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
- Cut squash lengthwise, remove the seeds and place face down in a backing dish. Cover with approximately 1/2 inch of water, bake for 40 minutes.
- Begin cooking lasagna noodles by bringing a large pot of water to a boil. Gently submerge the noodles and cook for approximately 5-6 minutes (we don’t want them fully cooked as they will cook more in the oven). Strain noodles, rinse with cold water to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan on medium heat, add butter and crushed garlic. Saute for 2- 3 minutes. Add the almond milk and begin slowly whisking in the flour. Reduce heat to simmer, stirring regularly until the sauce begins to thicken. Add salt to taste. Set aside.
- Remove the squash from the oven (keep the oven on because we will be baking the lasagna at the same temperature), scoop out the flesh into a large bowl, stir in cinnamon and nutmeg. Mash mixture with a fork or potato masher. Set aside.
- Now that all the elements are prepared, begin to layer in a baking dish. The layers should begin with the sauce, then noodles, and finish with squash, repeat until you have 3- 4 layers.
- Finish the top of the lasagna with freshly diced sage. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Serve with a toasted baguette or garlic bread.