I happened to come across some fresh beets and decided to make this beautiful salad. Paired with some roasted sweet potatoes for sweetness and quinoa for extra protein and texture. This salad is:
Beets have a very earthy and delicious flavor, they are also loaded with nutrients, including fiber, folate and vitamin C. They can even potentially help lower blood pressure.
You won’t be disappointed with this salad, and you will feel amazing after eating it. The dressing is a sweet balsamic that is super satisfying! Simply mix together some oil, balsamic vinegar, agave, Dijon and some sesame seeds (optional).
Make this salad for dinner on a weeknight or take it for lunch- it travels very well and keeps nicely for a few days in the fridge.
If you love this salad as much as I did be sure to tell us in the comments!
For the Salad:
- 1 large bunch of Kale
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes
- 1 1/4 cup cooked Quinoa
- 1 large Red Beet
- Pine Nuts (optional)
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup Sunflower Oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Agave
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Seeds
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into small cubes, distribute evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Approximately 3/4 cups of dry quinoa will turn into 1 1/4 cup of cooked quinoa.
- Once both sweet potato cubes and quinoa are cooked, set aside to cool while preparing the rest of the salad.
- Wash and tear kale into bite size pieces and place in a large salad bowl. Peel and shred one whole beet using a cheese shredder or shredder of your choosing, add to salad and mix well.
- Begin making the dressing by combining all ingredients together in a small bowl and whisking well. Set aside.
- Heat a small pan to medium heat and add pine nuts, every couple minutes give them a stir until they are nicely toasted. Set aside.
- Add cooled sweet potato and quinoa into the salad and stir to combine.
- Toss with salad dressing and serve immediately topped with toasted pine nuts or store covered in the fridge until ready to consume.