Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
This Vegan Cream of Mushroom soup is exactly what you remember growing up with. Creamy, savory and absolutely delicious. Made in 30 minutes!
Beyond being incredibly tasty and wholesome, this soup is healthy and pure. No high fat creams. It’s seasoned with rosemary which pairs wonderfully. A lot of mushroom soup recipes call for thyme but I’m in love with rosemary, I also used brown button mushrooms with some enoki, but you can use whichever mushrooms you like best!
Making this Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
This soup is thickened by a simple homemade cashew cream (blending soaked cashews with some water) this makes it thick, but not too thick that it’s gelatinous like a lot of the store bought variety. I like to finish it off by pureeing most of it in a blender then mixing it back in, this gives it the perfect texture for me, but you can do it to your preference. Taste the soup as you go along and adjust the seasonings to your taste. I personally don’t like my soups too salty so you can always add more.
This recipe makes about 4 servings but can be stretched into 6 if you are serving it as a starter dish.
Finally, serve with some crackers or bread, it’s a wonderful soup for dunking! Let me know how yours turns out in the comments!
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 diced Yellow Onion
- 3 minced Garlic Cloves
- 250g thinly sliced Mushrooms (your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 1/2 cups Vegetable Broth (low sodium)
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 3/4 cup Cashews (soaked minimum 4 hours)
- 1 cup Water
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- In a high speed blender, blend together soaked cashews and water until liquefied. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy bottom pot, heat oil on medium-high. Add onions and garlic, saute for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and rosemary, lower heat to medium, continue to cook until mushrooms are soft (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in vegetable broth, salt and cashew cream. Bring to a simmer and lower temperature to medium-low.
- In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water, pour into the soup and stir.
- Simmer on low for 15 minutes until the soup starts to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- Use a ladle to scoop out 1/2 – 3/4 of your soup into a blender. Give it a quick pulse, add back into the pot. Bring back to a simmer and let cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately with some crackers or toast.