Baked Falafel Patties
Makes 6-8 Patties
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
I remember a beautiful summer day after a long kayaking trip through Algonquin Park in Ottawa, Ontario. We stopped at a brewery/restaurant for a cold beer on their patio. I took a look at their menu and they had this vegan option that was the most delicious falafel I had ever tasted. Crispy on the outside and soft and bursting with flavor on the inside.
This recipe is the recreation of that magical patty.
What makes this recipe even better is how simple it is to make. Like many of my recipes the majority is done in a food processor and the ingredients are staple pantry items. It’s very well spiced, with most of the flavors coming from the green onion and garlic with some added cumin and parsley. Fresh is the best way to describe it.
It’s baked in the oven for the healthier touch while still maintaining that deliciously crispy outside without the extra oil from frying.
These patties are very versatile and can be eaten alone, in a pita, or in a burger bun.
When deciding on the sauces, hummus works wonderfully as well as Tahini and vegan mayo. If all you have is ketchup or BBQ sauce that is a fine option as well. Top with your favorite veggies and you can’t go wrong!
Soft on the inside
Let me know what you think of this recipe in the comments section below and be sure to follow Stunningly Plant Based on Facebook and Instagram!
Healthy 8-ingredient vegan falafel patties, perfect in a pita, burger or to top a salad.
- 1 540 ml can Chickpeas
- 1 cup roughly chopped Green Onion
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Dried Parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 400′
- Strain chickpeas and place in a food processor with green onion, garlic, vegetable oil, cumin, parsley and salt. Blend on low until ingredients are well blended. The mixture should be blended enough so that there are no large chunks remaining.
- Transfer mixture into a medium size mixing bowl, fold in bread crumbs until well combined. The mixture should now be sticky enough to form into patties. If the mixture is too dry add some water, if too wet add more bread crumbs.
- Make palm sized patties and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. If the patties are not browned and crispy on the bottoms, leave them in for a few more minutes before flipping.
- Serve on a warm bun or pita with your favorite veggies and dressing.