Vegan Blueberry Lemon Muffins
Makes 10-12 Muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 20-25 minutes
Take a look at these gorgeous blueberry muffins! They are bursting with blueberry goodness and a little kick of lemon. Not a fan of lemon in baking? Don’t worry, the lemon is added to enhance the flavor of the blueberries and is not the focal point of this recipe.
There are two things that make this recipe special. First, I use a mixture of heart healthy oats pulsed in a food processor with a small amount of all-purpose flour to give these muffins my favorite oatmeal flavor. Secondly, I use frozen blueberries instead of fresh because it turns the entire muffin a beautiful blue color!
These muffins are perfectly moist and fluffy and pair wonderfully with coffee or tea. They are a great breakfast option for an on-the-go breakfast or a mid-day snack. They are so delicious you may want to make two batches. Luckily, they are simple to make with basic grocery store ingredients.
Take a look!
- 1 cup Soy or Almond Milk
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups Rolled or Quick Oats
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour (unbleached)
- 1/2 cup Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Zest of 1/3 – 1/2 a Lemon
- 1 cup Frozen or Fresh Blueberries
- Pre-heat oven to 400′
- In a small bowl, create a buttermilk by adding apple cider vinegar to soy milk and let sit for a few minutes.
- In a food processor, pulse oats until a fine meal is formed, add to a medium size mixing bowl and combine with all purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix until well incorporated.
- Add vanilla and lemon zest to buttermilk mixture, pour into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix until a batter is formed. The batter should be thick but able to pour. Add in blueberries and give it another stir to combine.
- Line a muffin tray with liners, use a spoon to divide batter into 10-12 muffin cups.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. The muffins are done when you can insert a toothpick in and it come out clean.
- Place the muffin tray on a cooling rack for 20 minutes to cool.
- If there are leftover muffins store in a container with a lid for up to 3 days.
Tip: These muffins taste even better when fully cooled. Give it a couple hours out of the oven to really enjoy!
Let me know how your muffins turned out in the comments section below! I love your feedback!