Makes 4 small soups
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
This soup is a fantastic way to incorporate these nutrient rich black eyed peas into your diet.
This hearty, creamy soup can also double as a dip by adding less water. What I love about this recipe is that it’s packed with flavor but only uses 6 simple ingredients. It can also be made oil-free.
This soup works great as a lunch dish paired with a salad and some crackers or as a starter at a dinner you are hosting, either way its flavor and simplicity will not disappoint.
- 2 cups Black Eyes Peas
- 2 Red Bell Peppers
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Safflower Oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2- 3/4 cup Hot Water or Vegetable Broth
- Soak beans overnight and cook according to package (usually 30-40 mins on simmer).
- Pre-heat oven to 350′
- Place red peppers and garlic directly onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (do not remove the skin from the garlic).
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes checking regularly to make sure the garlic has not burned. Remove the garlic from the oven, raise the temperature to 400′ and let the red peppers cook for an additional 10 minutes or until they become soft and the skin is chard.
- Remove the skin from the garlic. Remove the skin, stem and seeds from the red peppers. Set aside some of the red pepper as it will be used as a garnish.
- In a food processor blend together garlic, peppers, beans, oil, salt and water until desired consistency is achieved. If too thick add more water.
- Dice up the roasted red pepper that you set aside, garnish and serve immediately.