Spicy Sesame Udon Noodles
Spicy Sesame Udon Noodles are tossed in a flavorful sauce, alongside red peppers and topped with sesame seeds. This vegan dish is made in 20 minutes or less, perfect for a weeknight dinner.
Today, I am writing a post about my favorite noodle dish, Spicy Udon Noodles are one of my favorite go-to dishes because it’s so fast and easy to make. The sauce is made up of only 7 simple ingredients and the noodles are ready in less that 5 minutes. The dish is versatile, throw in any type of stir-fried veggie or protein you like! Although this recipe doesn’t have a protein component, there are some examples below describing different options if you would like to add some.
The sauce is a delicious combination of sweet and savory while also being perfectly spicy, if you like it extra hot add more Sriracha! The ginger in the sauce is on the milder side, though you can easily add more if you really love that ginger kick!
How to Make Spicy Sesame Udon Noodles:
For this recipe, I used store bough Udon Noodles. To cook, simply submerge in boiling water for 3 minutes or according to the package instructions. Next, drain and rinse with with cold water before tossing them with stir-fried veggies and the sauce. Finally, plate and top with sesame seeds for some extra texture. Additionally, add some diced green onion or cilantro.
Never had Udon Noodles?
If you are new to this type of noodle they are a delicious thick and chewy noodle made with wheat. They are Vegan, however always be sure to check the label because not every brand is the same.
In this recipe, the Udon noodles are are boiled, it allows for a more saucy noodle rather than sticky. I do like these noodles sticky (by frying) although, for this dish, saucy is the way to go!
Variations to this Recipe:
- Protein Choices: tofu, soy curls, black beans
- Vegetable Choices: red pepper, buk choy, broccoli, carrots, green string beans, mushrooms, snap peas, bean sprouts.
There are so many reasons to love this recipe. Above all this recipe is a healthy alternative to take out!
Are you looking for even more Noodle Dishes? If so, Click Here!
I love your feedback, so please let me know in the comments section what you thought!
Spicy Sesame Udon Noodles
- 3 200g Packages of Udon Noodles
- 1 ea Red Bell Pepper
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Ginger Powdered
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce or Tamari
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Agave
- 1/2 tbsp Sriracha more for extra spice
- 1/2 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- Begin by washing and cutting the Red Pepper into thin slices.
- In a large pan heat a small amount of water or oil (approx. 1 tbsp) on medium high heat. Add the bell pepper slices, reduce to medium low heat, and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cook the Udon Noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Add the noodles to the pan with the sautéed peppers and poor in the sauce. Next, turn off the heat and toss until well combined.
- Serve into individual bowls topped with sesame seeds.